Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11 Memorial and Museum

In commemoration of the lives lost and resurgence of the City of New York, the September 11 Memorial and Museum was created. It will be dedicated on September 11, 2011, which is the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. On September 12, 2011 the museum will be open to the public. Click here to visit their site.

Even before a memorial was built, no one would ever forget the horrible events of September 11, 2001 and how it affected this country.

I narrowly missed being a casualty as I used to work on Wall Street and regularly saw the Twin Towers during my work day as a systems engineer. My job was to go out to different brokerage firms to support and troubleshoot their trading software. My contract ended in July 2001. If I was still on assignment for another month and a half it's very likely I may have been injured or much worse. Initially I was upset about losing my job, but obviously things happen for a reason. Fortunately I was home in Philadelphia during that time. I watched the constant replay of the unbelievably frightening images on television. But later I found out that some of my former colleagues were not so lucky.

Despite this tragedy America and its citizens are resilient. We have forged a collective strength that perseveres beyond the pain and horror of the unimaginable.

Feel free to leave comments here about where you were when you first heard about the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Sondra Carpenter
Pack Your Bags Travel
http://PackYourBagsTravelNow.com

4 comments:

  1. Incidents such as what happened to you with the job shows things happen for a reason. It sure was a tragic day. My uncle was in NY that time and luckily was sick and at home that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a terrific day indeed as lives lost and the way people lost it was unimaginable. I was heading home after school when i saw on television what happened was real and no story. One of our native man was working on the 88th floor of the North Tower and lost his life on that fateful day. We in native have constructed a memorial in his remembrance. It was indeed a day of horror.

    Neelam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just come back from college and it was all so surreal. Still is when you actually think about it all. Horrific. RIP.

    ReplyDelete